Friday, October 24, 2014

Happy Halloween

I did a quick sketch of Frankenstein years ago and thought it was time to do a painting. Boris Karloff's version is probably the most celebrated. This 5" X 7" painting was done using black, white, and orange gouache. It's a tricky medium to paint with, but offers some great possibilities. Have a great Halloween.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Another Company of Military Historians Project

I this latest painting project up last month. It will be in a future volume of the Journal published by the Company of Military Historians. The subject is the 1st Louisiana ( Federal )  Native Guards. The text is written by noted historian Rene Chartrand. There was limited time in which to get this project done and I was happy to finish with a few days to spare. The painting was done in acrylic on multimedia board.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Figure studies for Company of Military Historians article

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to do some illustrations for the Company of Military Historians journals or it's Military Uniforms in America Plate series. I offered to do some figure studies for an author that was working on an article for the journal. Hopefully publication of the article will send other authors my way seeking to add a bit of color to their articles.

The Smith Guard 1860-61

Coldwater Light artillery 1859

For more on the Company of Military Historians check out their website.

Or Facebook


Tuesday, March 25, 2014


In addition to working on a few painting I also started filling up a few sketchbooks. One is historical subjects while the other one are non historical ( for the most part ) in nature. I recently completed this drawing of Edgar Allen Poe, along with a few quotes. A few color studies and more sketchbook pages are on the way.

Friday, April 5, 2013

146th New York Zouave study

This 8 X 10 acrylic figure study depicts a Corporal of the 146th NY as he would have appeared in the winter of 1863-64. The red tassel, which is unusual was part of the first issue zouave ( Turco ) uniform issued in June of 1863.

The three figures represent some of the painting process. The first figure shows the under painting done in raw or burnt sienna. The second shows the under painting with a wash of burnt sienna given to most of figure with the exception of very light areas. Thirdly shows the figure blocked in with it's basic colors. The color for the face and hands would be blocked in also. Lastly, more refined coloring would be applied to achieve the finished study.
The finished figure study.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

NEW year and projects

With the new year comes a few new projects. Lately I've been working on several digital line drawing of Federal Civil War uniforms. My hope is to be able to use these for one or more book projects I've been thinking about for a long time. The drawings, which are cropped were done using Photoshop. Once complete this collection of drawings will also include weapons and equipment.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The end is near

As we approach the end of the year I thought to post some of the digital work I've done this year. While drawing and painting traditionally is still enjoyable, digital work adds another medium to choose from. Very tight line work lends itself well to doing uniform and equipment drawings.

Hopefully the new year will usher in a lot more work than what I've done this year to date.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

A different kind of painting

The 150th commemorations of the Civil war are something I really wanted to take part in. So far I've refought (loosely) the 1st Battle of Bull Run as a member of the 11th NY, or 1st Fire Zouaves. A few weeks ago I marched with the 11th Pennsylvania Reserves at the 150th Commemoration of the Battle of Antietam. The years 1863-1865 (or 2013-2015) will see me largly serving in the ranks of the 146th New York volunteer Infantry. Our particpation in the 150th of the Battle of Gettysburg will see the 146th uniformed in zouave (more correctly Tirailleurs Algeriens: Algerian Sharpshooters) attire. A lot of research has gone into the reconstruction of these uniforms. With that being said we want to give equal attention to the regimental flags.

Currently I'm preparing the art that will become the full size stencils to paint the regimental flags. Since I've never painted on silk before I thought best to practice painting different elements of the flag first. The eagle of the regimental flag will be a fairly involved project. what makes it challenging is that I will have to paint this image twice. Stars are also a large part of both flags so I've painted several already with more to go. I just finished painting the eagle's head and will do a few more elements to get an idea of what's ahead of me.

The stars are really gold but photographed yellow for some reason.