Thursday, January 18, 2007

4th Battalion close up


The waistcoat became a huge hurdle to get over when I decided to paint it as if it were made from stripped lined or ticking material. The problem was in getting the stripes the right color. The red I mixed kept going on too bright. What made all of this frustrating is if the stripes were not right the entire waistcoat had to be painted over again. On the fourth attempt I arrived at a color that looked very close to what I envisioned.


The face has been fun...so far. At this stage it looks considerably older than the original sketch which shows a more youthful face. A little more work will be needed to turn back the hands of time to get a more youthful look.

4th Pennsylvania Battalion painting update


I have made a lot of progress on the figure in just a few days of working on him. The way the final colors of the clothing and face are established would probably make a seasoned painter cringe. Each part is approached almost as an experiment and is subject to drastic change at any time. Though areas like the face may look finished I still have not arrived at what the face will look like. I'm still searching for that middle ground to where all the detail is there, but where it still retains a painterly look.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Leaves done...almost


This part of the painting has not been difficult as much as it was time consuming. I want to add a few more darks and highlights to the leaves without getting too detailed. I may try using casein for the greens and browns as it is more opaque than acrylics. It might be the way to get around having to build up so many layers.

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Leaves leaves leaves


This has been my fare for the past few days. My 4th Pennsylvania Battalion study is full of them. I sometimes feel as if the landscape largely imagined in my head is becoming the main focus of the painting. Though I'm enjoying the process it's hard to say which parts come easy and which could possibly lead to disaster. Painting is still new enough where it's like a roller coaster of sorts. I hope to start on the figure sometime this week. Though the picture is not of the painting or a figure project, I want to stick to my format of having a picture with each of my posts. At the very least the picture will work with the color of the blog template.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Confederate States Marine figure finished


HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody. Here is a photo of the completed 1/35 figure. The most difficult part of the figure was posing the figure on the steps. My hat is off to those miniaturists that have a knack for animation and interaction between figures in their vignettes. I'm now one step closer to clearing the bench of sculpting projects. The wheels of progress are turning slowly, but at least they're turning.

In addition to painting a few more figure studies, I'm undecided on what to sculpt once the bench has been cleared. Troiani's Revolutionary War book will be out this month so there's that to look forward to for inspiration.