Thursday, July 12, 2007

Try try again


Given my lack of activity here and on boards I used to actively post on I considered shutting my blog down. As of now I'm going to keep it up and just post when there's something worth posting. My painting of the Continental in the hunting shirt took a nosedive when I added a background. The colors made the uniform pop out but it just looked too surreal a setting. It was like placing a historical figure in a fantasy setting. It's a bit of a shame as I liked how the white of the uniform was turning out for the most part. The plan is to now do the figure with some background fading out around the figure. This should look better than just painting a white uniformed figure on a stark white board. after laying in the base colors for the figure I used liquid mask to block out the figure so I could add the initial background color. The mask easily comes off with an eraser or by rubbing your finger over the masked surface. The next step is to start adding some color.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Ahhh, Pard! It was looking awesome too! Sorry you had to start over. Looking forward to seeing this version shape up....Don't stop posting! I visit your blog everytime I'm on line to see if there's anything new.

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, Thanks, I apreciate it that you look in here to see what, if anything is going on. I'll be happy with version number 2 as long as the whites look similar to what I had the first time around. I'm going to dig into my "doodle" pages as I have some where I was trying to compose scenes for painting or dioramas and they contain lots of figures or partial figures.

Peter said...

Gary, too bad about the re-start! I always put in my background first. It avoids stuff like that plus I'll lose interest in it if the figure is already painted. This past weekend I started work on my first mounted painting. That is a whole new ball game!

Pete

Gary Dombrowski said...

Pete, Since I started painting, with the exception of the drummer I've ended up restarting every painting since. There was really no plan for a background other than some ground and suggestive "stuff" in the background. Hopefully a little more planning will see the end of doing things twice to get decent results once.