Friday, October 5, 2007

2nd VA, attempt number three


That's right, what I thought was going to be a 5 x 7 simple painting has turned into a multiple attempt stress fest. The face still needs some (understatement) work. I told my buddy Pete that however this turns out I will finish it. If nothing else winter is coming and I could use it to keep me warm. Just kidding. I find The more I study other artist's work the more I realize how technically deficient I am at painting. Compared to them I feel like a little kid with a box of Crayolas. There are some amazing painters out there doing some mindblowing figurative work. I feel inspired and punched in the gut at the same time when viewing these masterpieces. I'm going to pick up where I left off tomorrow as I'm spent for the day.

4 comments:

DeWolfe said...

Wow Gary reading this post was like listening to myself, I know exactly how you feel! I think every artist feels this way at least some of the time. I know I go from one extreme (feeling like I'm the best thing since Rembrandt) to the opposite in the blink of an eye some days. An artist is always his own harshest critic. We are always learning though, always trying to improve. I think this piece is looking very good and I think you'll be happy in the end. You should see some of the monstrosities I've turned out in the last year! Then you would know what a pile of dog turds posing as a painting really looks like!

Gary Dombrowski said...

Rob,

"Then you would know what a pile of dog turds posing as a painting really looks like!"

So that's what that smell is in my workroom. Something is just not clicking with this study. I think the main problem is my choice of medium. Though I've had some "happy accidents" with acrylics the freedom one seems to get with oils is not there, for me anyways. I'm in the process of building up a separate set of brushes for oils and will give that I try once I have enough.

Jason said...

I hear the clicking, pard! Keep plugging away.

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, The gears are definitely turning...backward.