Last night I took a 4 x 5 piece of board and started this head study of the 2nd VA guy that is giving me a run for my money. This is pretty loose compared to my other stuff. For some reason the head and background on the 5 x 7 has really been a problem. This study has allowed me to relax and just fling paint. After painting the face I realized there are some anatomical issues that need to be reworked on the original drawing. I'm happy with the blue on the uniform but the red needs a bit of work. This "time out" has helped me to relax and get a rough idea how to better approach the subject so it can finally be completed.