Friday, October 12, 2007

Study of a study

Last night I took a 4 x 5 piece of board and started this head study of the 2nd VA guy that is giving me a run for my money. This is pretty loose compared to my other stuff. For some reason the head and background on the 5 x 7 has really been a problem. This study has allowed me to relax and just fling paint. After painting the face I realized there are some anatomical issues that need to be reworked on the original drawing. I'm happy with the blue on the uniform but the red needs a bit of work. This "time out" has helped me to relax and get a rough idea how to better approach the subject so it can finally be completed.

6 comments:

Jason said...

Wish I could "fling" paint like that! Well done, pard! And you did this work in one night?!

Gary Dombrowski said...

Hey buddy! Thanks. I painted it over the course of part of a night and following day. The anatomy of the face and head are not too great. What I was pleased with was the ALMOST painterly effect I was going for. It was a great learning tool, although I have to say these things scan horribly. Given that these are actually photos I took of the study.

Pete said...

Gary, don't over think it! It looks great but if you don't like it, move on to the next one. That said, I don't see why you're not happy with it. Have fun buddy!

Gary Dombrowski said...

Pete, Thanks. I was going to scrap the idea and move onto the next but thought that it would only make it easier to do it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th....time. So I'm going to stick to it and hopefully come away learning something from the experience.

DeWolfe said...

Well the finished product looks great (but perhaps a little dark?), well done. You said you were hoping to learn from the experiance so what lessons did the piece have in it?

Gary Dombrowski said...

Rob, The piece is actually lighter than what you see. Aside from finishing the painting, the most important thing was sticking with the project. it would have been easier to just shelf the idea and move on. As much as I wanted to I think it could have set a bad precedent for future pieces.