Friday, January 25, 2008

Lt William Falconer, Grenadier Company, 15th Regiment of Foot, 1777


To the best of my knowledge there is no surviving miniature portrait of Falconer. This was a fun piece to do.In addition to the great looking hunting sword I was able to play with reconstructing a simpler uniform that he very well could have worn.The only thing I took a bit of license with was positioning the sword a little higher up on the body. An inscription on the throat of the scabbard helped me decide what I wanted Falconer's face to look like.

"The Honorable Lieut. William Falconer of the 15th Regt. of Foot Commanded by Lieut. Colonel Bird was killed in the action at Brandywine Sept. 11th 1777 in the 19th year of his age."

3 comments:

DeWolfe said...

This is my favourite one so far. I absolutley love it and it's nice to see some pictures of the good guys on your site! Lol. I'm already looking forward to your next piece.

Gary Dombrowski said...

Rob, Thanks a lot. I love doing these smaller paintings. It's hard not to get stuck just doing these smaller studies. ~Gary

Pete said...

Looking good Gary. Those little one's are addictive, huh? It's nice to have a finished piece in a short time. So, what's next?

Pete