Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gettysburg's Remmembrance Day


My wife and I drove down to Gettysburg for it's annual Remembrance Day observance. This year marked the 145th Anniversary of the dedication of the Soldier's Cemetery and Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Cold is one word that describes our four day stay at our home away from home. The parade that was held on Saturday was pretty nice. Though the authenticity of the groups varied it was impressive seeing a mass of men and women in period dress dominating a parade. This was also a chance to see the battlefield's NEW visitor's center. Though I have many mixed feelings about the whole thing I've decided to NOT comment on it. One thing that was a treat to see was the bottom of the triangular field below Devil's Den without trees. Those guys from the 1st Texas sure had a lot of open ground to cross while under the guns of Smith's battery up on Devil's Den.

7 comments:

You may call me Kitten said...

You may find some of my re-enactment photos posted at the new visitors' center (if the person I took them for had them down there yet)!

Gary Dombrowski said...

The new visitor's center is huge. Although I did not see a display consisting of photos of reenactors does not mean they are/were not there. Congratulations anyway, too bad you're not able to see them. It's well worth the trip as there are lots of great subjects to photograph.

Jason said...

I wish I could have been there. Sounds like you and Julie had a blast.

The 5th N.Y. don't look the same without Mr.Pohanka at the lead:(

Jason

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, Despite the cold it made for a pretty laid back little break away from home.

It would have been great to see Pohanka leading the 5th NY. One thing I noticed was most of the guys looked to be getting up there in age. Maybe the younger guys stayed home.:) ~Gary

Pete said...

Gary, sorry I haven't checked in in a while....I marched in a number of those Remeberance Day parades and seems like they were always cold!

I'm sure you had fun though!

Pete

Jason said...

Anything new pard? I'm having withdrawl! I know you must have a doodle somewhere.

Jason

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, So am I, believe me.I was going to do another Christmas illustration but I'm not only running out of time but do not have enough for the couple ideas I finally came up with. Maybe over the holidays I'll come up with something new.