Saturday, June 13, 2009

Brunswick Grenadier, Regiment Von Riedesel


This painting was inspired by a figure sculpted by Jason Whitman. Check out Jason's figure here. http://jaywhitsminiatures.blogspot.com/2007/10/brunswick-grenadierregiment-von.html I really liked the forward sense of movement given to the figure. That, along with the fact that Hessian troops just look cool. This painting was done in acrylics on 8 x 10 multimedia board. I plan to bring this to the APG show in Gettysburg this August. Acrylics continue to offer a number of challanges, with quick drying time toping the list.

5 comments:

Pete said...

Gary,
I've often thought of using miniatures as models for paintings. I'll have to try it! You pulled it off nicely!

Gary Dombrowski said...

Pete, Thanks. On the downside I feel that I might have based it too much on the figure. Does that make sense. ~Gary

Jason said...

Great work pard!

That background looks very cool.

Jason

John Long said...

You kind of turned this on its ear Gary. Usually folks do figures from paintings, not the other way around. Very nice.

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, Thanks. The right half of the background was really unfinished. After looking at it so much I actually thought it looked okay that way.

John, Thanks. I have been wanting to do a painting of a figure for some time now. I'd like to do another one in the near future along with some multiple figure pieces. ~Gary