Wednesday, July 8, 2009

146th New York Volunteer Infantry ("Gerrard's Tigers")


The 146th went of to war in 1862 commanded by Colonel Kenner Gerrard, a West Point Graduate. The regiment was assigned to General Sykes' Division of the Army of the Potomac, a division composed mainly of U.S. Regulars. The 146th was attached to the only brigade of volunteers in Sykes' Division, joining the 5th NY(DuryƩe's Zouaves)and 140th NY(Rochester Racehorses) volunteers. When the two year term of service ended for the 5th NY, more than 300 three-year recruits were transferred to the 146th.In June of 1863 the 146th received the Zouave uniform that would replace the New York State uniform they had been wearing up to that time. It is this uniform that the regiment would be wearing during the battle of Gettysburg.The remain regiments of the brigade would not receive their Zouave uniforms until January of 1864.

When I was knocking around ideas for my donation for the Artist Preservation Group's Gettysburg show in August I settled on painting a Zouave. After seeing studies painted on a artist's wooden palette by Alphonse De Neuville and Keith Rocco, I decided to use the same for my painting surface. The palette measures 13" X 9 1/2".

3 comments:

Jason said...

Wonderful work pard! You should do more of these palette studys. Even though it's been done before, it makes the piece more unique.

Jason

Pete said...

Gary, VERY COOL! I really like the painting as much as the idea.

Gary Dombrowski said...

Guys, Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll do more in the future. I don't want to overdo it though. It makes me think of those old saws that people paint barn scenes on the blades. You see one and it's neat, but after seeing several it seems a bit tacky. ~Gary