Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Time to relax


In a week we (the family) head down to Gettysburg for the Artist Preservation Group show. I'm looking forward spending some time talking shop with those I swap posts with on the net. I think it's going to be a great show and will hopefully be the first of more to come.

Though I'm easing my way back into sculpting I could not resist starting a small study. This one is on 6" X 6" gessoed Masonite. It's great stuff, that may one day partially replace the multimedia board I've been using the past few years. If I happen to finish this one I may bring it with me next week.For some reason I have a devil of a time building up the contrast I would like this to have.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Great work pard. Wonderful study! We want more!

Pete said...

I see you're experimenting with supports...first a palette and now masonite! I love masonite. I buy the gessobord preprimed stuff or make my own from a sheet from Home Depot.

I started sculpting again (VERY Rusty) but won't get it done in time for the show. I'm brining some paintings and some older figures including the famous Jersey Blue you sculpted. I don't think you ever saw it in person did you?

Gary Dombrowski said...

Pete, Yeah, I tried masonite more than a year ago and it just did not work. I think it had more to do with using acrylics more than anything else. That and the fact that the finish was way too smooth. I just picked up some
6" X 6" made by Ampersand. It has more tooth to it and is higher quality that what I tried before. My main frustration now is that I just cannot get the colors to POP! That's on top of the paint drying too fast. I'd like something slower drying and may even try alkyds.

I have a few sculptures to make but want to keep the brushes wet as well. There's just not enough time in a day.